3.17.2006

CHAPTER 23 - The End Is Near

I kept an eye out for Eva at the bar. It was a place we normally visited so she should have had no problems finding it. But, after a fifteen minute wait outdoors, it was clear she was going to be late so I decided to at least enjoy a cool beer in the meantime. As I sat there, sipping my pint, I noticed that there was something different. Something strange about a place I thought I knew very well. Then it struck me. It was the clients – the people – not the bar itself. On both sides of me, seated in their barstools, were two couples. The girls were closest to me. I was sandwiched in the middle. When I first saw them, I thought they were pretty attractive – just like most of the Czech beauties I had encountered. But, as I took a closer look, I saw it. They were actually men! The Adam’s apple, the jaw bone, the slightly muscular arms... It was all there. Worst of all, every time their ‘boyfriends’ weren’t looking, they’d glance in my direction. One of them even blew me a kiss. Where the fuck was Eva?
She finally came, about an hour late, accompanied by three or four of her friends. Boys and girls. They walked by and Eva, not even pausing, said to me, "What are you doing here? Let’s go downstairs. It’s better there."
I got up to follow them when one of the cross-dressers pinched my ass. Just as I was about to say something, I realized Eva and her friends had already left the room. I didn’t know where the "downstairs" she had told me about was, so I rushed off without saying a word to the gender bender.
There was only one flight of stairs. I descended them and looked for the others. It was dark. A bit too dark – even for a cellar bar. I wasn’t sure where I was. Whether I was going the right way or not. Then, in the distance, I saw a cigarette cherry fly by. I went in that direction and soon the laughs and conversations in Czech became audible. I had found them.
I entered the room but could barely see a thing. All I could tell was that it was extremely large and filled with people and cigarette smoke. "Eva? Eva?" I cried. "Where are you?"
She jumped in front of me and I instantly noticed her angelic face.
"What the fuck are you doing? I almost got lost down here. Thank God I found my way. Why didn’t you wait?"
She didn’t say a word. She just smiled, hugged me, and kissed me on the cheek as usual.
"Where are we? Where is this place?"
"Come on. See? It’s not so bad," she whispered into my ear.
"What?"
"The nightmares."
I woke up in a cold sweat and scared shitless. I glanced at the alarm clock on my dresser. Six in the morning. It was Tuesday and I had to work in the morning anyway, so I decided to get ready for class and make myself a cup of coffee. Besides, I knew I wouldn’t be able to fall asleep again.

That evening, I went to Chess Night at The Globe in Holešovice. I hadn’t visited it for at least two months, since before my birthday. I figured, though, that seeing as there were only two weeks of school left and I probably wouldn’t have an opportunity to go there again, that night was as good as any.
I worked my way to the back room of The Globe where there were a dozen or so people – some hunched over a chess board – and greeted the lot. Jordan and Arthur, the two bearded gurus, looked up from their game (they were playing each other) and gave me a heartfelt hello. I sat down by their side.
"Jesus, Paul. It’s been a while. Since your birthday, I believe. What have you been doing with yourself?" Arthur asked.
"Yeah, sorry man. You know how things are. I’ve just been real busy and all. Visitors and that kind of stuff."
"I hear ya’ buddy." Jordan moved a bishop on the board and stroked his beard, eyes still planted on the pieces below. "We’ve got a check here, mate."
Arthur focused his attention back on the board and they both soon forgot I was even there. "Listen guys, I’ll go get a beer and you two can finish up. Then we can talk." I stood up. "You guys want anything to drink?"
They both shook their heads – eyes firmly fixed on the checkered board before them.
Fifteen minutes later, Arthur had Jordan trapped in checkmate. They shook hands, put the board on another table for someone else to use if they wanted, and leaned back into their seats. "So, Paul," Arthur began, "What have you been doing with yourself?"
"Ah, you know. The normal. Going out occasionally. Teaching. Nothing special."
"You still got classes, buddy? When those finish?"
"Soon. End of next week."
"And then? What’s the plan? Back on the road or back home?"
"Definitely not home! But other than that... Well, you know Jordan, I haven’t really given it that much thought. Yeah, I guess back on the road and then we’ll see."
Jordan threw Arthur a glance. "See there, I told ya’! A young intellectual in the making. Free spirit here! Doesn’t even know where he’ll be in a month," Jordan patted me on the back. "Good job there, buddy. Life’s an adventure. Don’t forget it!"
"Just remember, Paul, don’t burn any bridges. Make certain you leave on good terms with the school you’re working for now. You never know what the future may bring."
"Yeah, thanks. Good advice."
"And speaking of that school of yours," Arthur continued. "Any luck yet with that cute little blonde student?"
"Eva?" I shook my head disappointingly. "Nothin’."
"Well, don’t worry about that there, buddy! Plenty of fish in the sea, eh? Yπάρχουν πολλές κοπέλες! (There are many girls!)" he finished in Greek.
"Yeah, I know. You’re right."
"Remember. Sex isn’t the most important thing in life."
"Well, it sure as hell feels like it. It’s been since November, you know!"
"That’s nothin’ buddy! When I was living in Greece, I went two years without a woman! Δύο χρόνια! (Two years!)"
"Shit...Rreally? Why? I mean, how?"
"Didn’t have time for ‘em! I was living on the beach and had too many books to read. The brain, buddy! That’s what you’ve got to focus on. Be intellectual!"
"Yeah, alright. I mean, that’s easy for you to say. But I’m... you know – no offence – younger."
"How old?"
"Twenty-three."
"Come on! I was twenty-six when I started living in Greece. We’re talking about details, bud!"
"Incredible... Two years." I took a long sip of beer.
"Come on now, Jordan," Arthur finally interrupted with his thick English accent. "Leave the boy alone. You may have gone two years without, but I’m sure afterwards you had your fill."
"Yeah, yeah. You’re right there. After that intellectual journey, the libido went into overdrive! Still is!" Jordan rested his elbows on the table and winked at us both. "Thank God for this vasectomy... Saved my ass in the long run!"
Arthur rolled his eyes and turned his attention back to me. "I wouldn’t worry about it, Paul. Besides, you finish teaching in a week. Then you’ll go travelling again, meet new people, other women, and forget that this student of yours ever existed!"
"Yeah, I guess you’re right." I took out some tobacco and started rolling. "How about you, Arthur. What are your plans for the summer?"
"Well, I’ve got plenty of private students. I’ll be teaching them over the summer."
"And then?"
"What do you mean?"
"After summer? After next year? After this – teaching English and living in a strange country?"
Arthur laughed out loud. "After this? There is no after this! I finally have enough time to... I’m happy here. And now, for the first time in my life, I can concentrate on that one thing – the fulcrum of a happy life."
"Which is?"
Arthur leaned towards me and grinned, "Chess!"
Someone at the next table interrupted us and asked if anyone wanted to smoke some grass outdoors. Jordan didn’t feel like it, but Arthur got up to join him.
"And you, Jordan? What are your plans?"
"Well, buddy. I’ve only really had one plan for the past thirty years, and I’ve been following it pretty well."
"Yeah? What is it?"
"My plan is... Never have a plan!"
"Come on. You must have some plans. Something you want to do."
"Explore the world, Paul!"
"So then, you’re gonna travel again? Back on the road?"
"No, no. I’ve been exploring the world – physically, at least – for long enough. I’m fifty-six! Can’t strap on that backpack and walk for miles like I used to. But that won’t stop me! I’ll just do what I’m doing now. Explore it intellectually! You know, buddy, there are so many books I haven’t even read yet!"
"So, that’s it then? You’ve settled here in Prague?"
"Probably. I’ve been here for years now. It’s a good place. Good friends. Good people. Great life."
"But how do you know? I mean, how do you know there isn’t somewhere better?"
Jordan’s laughter filled the back room of The Globe. Some of the chess players looked up momentarily, but soon returned all concentration back to the boards before them. "Been asking myself the same question since I first left home! But I’ve been around the world and back, Paul... You know that! I’ve seen a lot and... well... for ME, this is the best." He leaned back and stroked his gray beard, "But, of course, that doesn’t mean it is for you too. You’ve got to explore, bud. Look for yourself."
"I know. That’s what I’m gonna do. Wait until classes finish next week, and then I’m off."
"Super, great. So where you thinking about?"
"I don’t know. Probably somewhere south. Italy maybe. Venice. Have you ever been there? What do you think?"
"It’s nice. Beautiful. Italy. See all your big countries. The famous ones. You know, buddy, you’re still young. But don’t forget the others too! Your Icelands and your Moldavias. Now those are the real gems. And well, Greece too. Ah, now that was a real beauty. Would have stayed there maybe instead of here if they hadn’t kicked me out of the country. But then again, who knows..."
"Why did they kick you out again?"
"I was a vagabond. Livin’ on the streets and thinking all day. Exploring my intellectual side and, whenever I got tired of where I was, hitchhiking my way somewhere else. Can’t have that, now can we?! Workers pay taxes and thinkers don’t. Doesn’t come as much of a surprise, eh, that governments don’t want thinking people and prefer the working kind? Well, after that, then I..."
"I know, I know." Jordan had told me all this before. "But I’ve been to Greece. Lived there last summer. Hell, I speak the language. I need to see somewhere else... To live somewhere else and experience it."
"There you go buddy! Now THAT’s intellectual! You have to be like our friend Kim over there. Never stop moving until you find something good. And when it ain’t good no more, just get up and go! That’s how you live life. That’s how you enjoy it!"
"Speaking of Kim, have you heard from him lately?"
"Sure have! He called me about a month ago. Said he was in Korea, but his family and friends were hassling him. When you gonna get a real job? they said. When you gonna settle down? they said."
"So what did he do?"
"The obvious. He got up and left! Think he’s in Thailand or Indonesia or somewhere around there now."
"Incredible."
"Yep, reminds me of myself when I was in my thirties like him. Good guy that Kim."
"So, he’s not even thinking of settling down, huh?"
"Kim? Of course not!" Arthur walked back into the room at that moment. He sat down at another table and started talking with some friends. "And why would he? Kim’s a real intellectual. You think he wants to do what Arthur had to do? Just tell everyone he’s known for his entire life, one day, that he’s getting up and going? It’s a tough thing what Arthur did. Most people wouldn’t be able to. And our Kim ain’t no dummy. Why even put himself in a situation where he’d have to make that kind of decision? No thank you and he’s better off for it. I tell ya, a real intellectual."
I sat back in my chair and puffed away at my cigarette. Jordan broke the silence a minute or so later and asked if I wanted to play some chess. I kindly accepted.

My students had organized a day trip that Saturday – the last before school ended. It was a farewell party and a day out of the city, which was actually getting quite hot by the end of June. We all agreed that swimming would be the best option so the fifteen or so students that had decided to go met up that morning at Václavské náměstí and we drove south to a village where the Vltava River had been dammed. A place called Slápy. It was nice. The river had turned into a large artificial lake and the banks were covered in mostly grass and a bit of sand. As the cars pulled up and we piled out, I realized just how crowded this Slápy actually was. Half of the city of Prague must have been there that day sunbathing – and it was still only eleven in the morning. We made our way through the hordes and I soon found myself drooling helplessly over the countless topless women. More than half of the women there were bearing practically everything to the mid-morning sun. And nearly all of them were the stereotypical gorgeous Czech women I had grown so accustomed to.
We finally found a relatively empty spot and settled down. I still couldn’t take my eyes off of the many nipples that dotted the dammed river’s banks. And, just as I was taking off my shirt, I glanced into the distance and saw it – there behind the trees. A handful of tall Slavic beauties with absolutely nothing on. It reminded me of some pastoral scene with nymphs from Greek Mythology. I only wished I could be their Pan.
I turned to tell my male students – ask the guys if this was normal or today was just my lucky day – when I saw that the six out of eight girls that had traveled to Slápy with us were now wearing nothing but their thongs. Apparently, they didn’t own bikini tops either.* (*The other two female students remained in their complete swimsuits throughout the day. I guess that, by Czech standards, I would have considered those girls a bit plump. By American standards, they were absolutely fine.) Eva’s breasts were as amazing as I had imagined them to be. Small, but a handful, and creamy smooth. Then I looked at my other students – they all had incredible assets. I turned to my male students in utter disbelief. This wasn’t right – I had to be in violation of some kind of teacher/student code of ethics. Teachers are not meant to see their female student’s breasts. Then again, fuck it. Who says they aren’t?
The guys pulled out some beers from the cooler we had brought with us, tossed me one, and grinned simultaneously. "What you think of Czech Republic?" one of them asked while motioning his head to the girls by our side.
"Fuckin’ great! I love it. Nazdraví!" and the seven of us clinked our bottles together.
By noon, the sun had grown quite strong and I, being the consummate gentleman, took the tanning lotion that was laying by Eva’s towel and kindly asked her if she needed some rubbed on. She smiled, then chuckled a bit, and finally told me it wouldn’t be necessary. I sat back down sad, but not disappointed. I had known from the start that she would never have let me touch her sensuous body – especially to rub cream on it. But, as luck would have it, Lenka – one of my other students – happened to overhear Eva and I talking and asked if I wouldn’t mind rubbing some oil all over her curvaceous body. I happily agreed and immediately got down to the task at hand. Once I had finished, I looked up at Eva with a grin – a grin that soon turned into a frown once I noticed that Martin, one of the other students, was in fact rubbing lotion all over her back.
The day passed by serenely as me and the male students drank our beer, took the occasional dip in the artificial lake, and gazed at the bare-chested beauties all around. We eventually got to talking about what their plans were for the summer and beyond. Most of them were going on a short one or two week trip sometime in the next two months or so and, come September, enrolling in university. The girls awoke from their sunbathing slumber and joined in the conversation. Their plans were pretty much the same, except for two or three who would be going to England for a year in order to work as au-pairs. Eva, of course, regaled us all with her hopes and dreams in the wonderful world of hydrology.
Then the conversation shifted its focus onto me. They were all curious: What would I be doing come September? Where would I be a year from then? I told them that their guesses were as good as mine. I had had a wonderful time in the Czech Republic over the past seven or so months, but it was now time to move on. The world was a big place, I told them, and I had hardly made a dent in exploring it. Italy, I guessed, at least for the summer. And then... Whichever way the wind blew.
They all seemed disappointed after our little talk there on that pseudo-beach in the center of Bohemia. A bit dismayed actually. It wasn’t as if I was leaving them, they said, but as if I was abandoning them. Their new American friend, from halfway across the planet who had traveled there just to teach them English. The best, they assured me, English teacher they had ever had. But they understood. They understood what I was doing and they understood the fire within my heart. I needed to explore what was out there. They only hoped that they, one day, would have the courage to do the same themselves.
As we left Slápy late that afternoon, all the students that wouldn’t be returning to Prague in the same car as me hugged me goodbye and told me how much they would miss me. I told them not to worry. Not to be so sad. Who knew what lay in store for the future? I might actually return to Prague – might even settle down there one day and see them all again. We all knew it would never happen, but nothing is impossible. Besides, I reminded them, we still had a few days of school left. They could save their goodbyes until then.
Martin (the student who had rubbed lotion on Eva), Eva, and I rode back towards Prague in the same car. Martin didn’t actually live in Prague. He lived in a town right outside its borders. So he asked us if we wouldn’t mind being left at the Metro station in Prague’s outskirts so that he wouldn’t have to drive through the entire city in order to drop us off. We agreed and told him it would be no hassle at all.
"You know, Eva, a week from now, we won’t have any classes together anymore. We won’t see each other every morning, and we won’t go out for coffee in the afternoon anymore. Nothing. It’ll all be done," I began as we stood there waiting for the next subway train.
She looked up at me with her beautiful green eyes. "I know. It will be very sad. Very, very sad," she said with a sincerity I had never seen in her before.
"I’m going to miss you, Eva. A lot. It’s a shame. Things could have been different between us. So different. If you didn’t have that boyfriend... If I had met you earlier... If I had met you later... Who knows? How things might have worked out..."
"Worked out?" she interrupted. "I don’t understand this."
"Worked out. Ended. Happened. You know. Who knows how things would have ended? Where we would be now... Instead of just a teacher saying goodbye to a student."
"Yes," she mumbled and lowered her head. Then I heard a short sniffle. I placed my hand on her soft cheek and lifted her head once again. Her eyes were beginning to water.
A drop rolled down her left cheek and I wiped it away with my thumb. "I know. I feel the same way," and I kissed her tenderly on her forehead.
I lowered my head and pressed it gently against Eva’s. We stood there, in the Metro station, exchanging blurred stares with each other’s dejected eyes, our noses practically touching. Then Eva rested her delicate fingers behind my neck, leaned forward and placed her lips on mine. We stood there on that platform, arms firmly wrapped around each other and mouths passionately interlocked – we were as one enraptured by the moment – until the subway train arrived. We stepped inside, hand in hand, and sat down in the first two empty seats we saw. We rode in silence as she rested her head on my shoulder.
"Eva, listen," I began. "You know I’m leaving in a few days. After school. In the beginning of July. But... well, this is crazy... But, why don’t you come with me?"
"What? But to where, Paul?" she lifted her head and looked me in the eyes.
"I don’t know. To Italy! I mean, why not? Are you doing anything this summer?"
"No... but. To Italy? I cannot. I don’t have this money. And like this? Last minute?"
"It doesn’t matter. I’ll pay for you. We’ll work something out."
"And then? And then I must start my university in September."
"Yeah, but you can postpone it. You can just start a year later. Why not? And maybe by then, I can even come live here in the Czech Republic with you. I mean, why not? Who knows? Anything can happen..."
"Paul, listen... I can no..."
I cut Eva short by placing my finger on her lips. Then I kissed her once again – just as I had dreamt of doing for so many months, just as I had imagined every time I had closed my eyes. "Your stop is the next one. But you don’t have to answer me now. About going to Italy. About coming with me. About being with me. Just think about it. Think it over. I’m leaving in about two weeks. The beginning of July. I need to know before then. By the end of next week. But don’t answer me now."
Eva didn’t say a word. She just rested her head back on my shoulder and ran her smooth nose against my neck, breathing intimately each time it passed. As the subway train started to slow down for the next stop, Eva looked up and into my eyes. We kissed once again. The train came to a full stop and, as the doors slid open, she stood up.
"Good night, my dear. Think about what I’ve told you. I’ll see you on Monday in school."
"Yes," she smiled. She bent over, kissed me tenderly on my forehead, ran her fingers once through my hair, and dashed to the doors. "Good night, Paul," she said and, just before stepping off the train, blew me one last kiss.
The doors closed behind Eva, but I kept my eye on her – standing there on the Metro platform and looking directly at me – through the window. A few seconds later, she had disappeared in the distance and soon been replaced by the dark shadows of subterranean Prague.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home